Detector support and flange

From: Hans Jostlein <jostlein@fnal.gov>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 15:29:39 CDT

Hi, Vic,

thanks for your response.

I am still interested in a strut type support, and asked Ang Lee to do some
very basic FEA .
Presumably I will learn what you already learned, but I'm curious.
The struts are meant, of course, to take the forces directly to the 4
support points.
We'll see.

On the shape, I am sure you realize that a cylinder will weigh 50% more
than a sphere of the same diameter and height.
That's a big tax to pay!
I also don't quite see why a cylinder would be easier to support.
Basically, I don't understand the force flow in your support structure.
Maybe you can show me next time you are here at Fermilab.

The fabrication should be no issue at all;
Chicago Bridge and Iron, as you know, makes those vessels in this and
larger sizes all the time,
mostly for water towers.
They made the 40 ft diameter Miniboone sphere.

I am also attaching a picture with a couple of comments on the large vessel
flange.
Maybe you already drew the flange that way.

Greetings.

Hans