Re: Detector support and flange

From: Victor Guarino <vjg@anl.gov>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 16:41:59 CDT

Hi Hans,
Thanks for your comments. On my next trip to FNAL we should discuss these
things.

The design of the support structure is not meant to be the final design. A lot
of work can be done on this. As Ang does the analysis remember that one of the
design criteria that we used was that the support structure would not induce any
additional deflections and stresses in the sphere. The sphere is supported
along its midsection in order to eliminate bending stresses in the sphere but
supporting it on the lower half of the sphere. Also, in the structure that I
showed there are 16 support points in order to distribute the weight and there
by reducing bending stresses in the sphere. A much different structure can be
developed if the sphere acts as a structural member but this requires increases
in the thickness. The support structure also deflected a very small amount,
fractions of a mm if I remember correctly. I think deflections are important
because we don't want to flex our flange joint. If we are going to take apart
this sphere then only the bottom sphere can act as a structural member so you
don't get the full benefit that the spherical geometry provides.

I agree that its possible to fabricate the sphere. I found several companies
that make spherical heads for tanks who could do this work However, it is not a
simple task. The fabrication has to occur on sight and the flange is not
trivial. I believe that dismantling the entire sphere to get at the pmts will
be a difficult and time consuming task. If we need to get at the PMTs often
then we should think about alternative designs. We'll have to buy more mineral
oil but that is probably off-set by savings in fabrication costs and the
maintenance costs associated with dismantling the sphere. A simple tank
provides easy access and maintenance.
Vic