Re: GEANT 4.8.0 released

From: Glenn Horton-Smith (gahs@phys.ksu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 12:37:19 CST

Hi Stan,
  Yes, I was about to send out something about this. GLG4sim indeed
will not compile under the new Geant4 version, and the fix is
non-trivial. The issue is the significant changes to the
G4VFastSimulationModel class, which is used in GLG4PMTOpticalModel.
Unless I'm missing something, the required changes will be extensive
enough that it won't be practical to keep GLG4sim compatible with both
Geant4.7 and Geant4.8 simultaneously. It could be done, but it looks
like it would mean bracketing a fair number of lines of code with
#ifdefs, and the code might function differently between the two
versions. I think the migration to Geant4.8 will have to be planned as
a big discrete step at some point in the future. The CVS "branch"
capability will no doubt come in handy for this...
   Bottom line for users: stick with Geant4 7.x for now.
             -Glenn.