New geometry system

From: Stan Seibert (volsung@physics.utexas.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 13:03:02 CST

Thanks to Steve's work, we've now got a completely user-defined
geometry. His veto geometry builder has been generalized to be
useable for the entire detector and pull parameters from RATDB. I've
written up documentation here on it:

http://nu.ph.utexas.edu/bw/trac/wiki/UserGuideGsimGeometry

The important thing to note is that this system is a compromise
between our old, hardcoded geometry and a full-on system like
CPPGDML. Simple things and simple shapes can be added without
recompilation, but complex shapes will require writing new code.
This seems reasonable given our current needs and time constraints.

The default geometry is still our spherical, two-zone design with no
veto. The veto geometry Steve is also available (a CHESS concrete
box with active detectors on inside and outside). It can be enabled
in your macro file with:

/rat/db/set DETECTOR veto_file "veto.geo"

somewhere before /run/initialize.

A great project would be to make a new geometry file that implements
the three-zone spherical detector. This would be a good opportunity
for someone else to "intellectually debug" the geometry builder
design and documentation to see if this part of RAT makes sense.

---
Stan Seibert