new Gd capture code

From: Matthew Worcester (mworcest@hep.uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 01:07:39 CDT

Hi all,

I have checked in a large amount of n+Gd capture code to RAT. The first
big piece is a new directory called GdHPCapture, which is code designed to
handle the Gd capture and gamma emission. It was developed by generous
folks at Double-CHOOZ who passed it to us through Glenn. It should
compile and link to the main rat exe in the usual make command, although I
have only tested in on linux with gcc 2.96. In order to get it in the
physics list I did have to change GLG4PhysicsList.cc, which is a hack and
will need to be rechecked when we update GLG4sim. I don't think Glenn
plans to put GdHPCapture into the physics list permanently.

The other big piece is the n+Gd data tables, now kept in data/neutron. I
used ENDFB-VI 300K for the cross-section data. When the rat.cc dependency
is made the tables should copy automatically to your G4NDL directory, in
which G4 will read them. Note that this does add files directly to your
Geant4 release, which means you will need write privledges there. The
files are copied by a simple shell script in data/neutron. Thus, if you
only want to copy the files once by hand, you can easily remove the source
of that script from your Makefile and source it yourself.

To get the new code you will need to clean your build to make sure that
the rat.cc dependency is remade:

cvs update -d
make clean
make

You should then see all the Gd tables in your G4NDL directory (along with
144Sm tables that were also required for unclear reasons).

With this code you should be able to run with the GdLoadedScint material
and hadronic processes enabled. I have updated my testIBD.mac file to run
these events. I have run a few thousand test events, but am still
learning how to find the information that I need to check my physics
results.

Matt