Re: 2 RAT bugs and a GLG4sim bug

From: Stan Seibert (volsung@physics.utexas.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 05:46:23 CDT

On Sep 26, 2005, at 2:22 AM, Christopher Tunnell wrote:

> First, I saw this:
>
> CountProc: Event 39100
> Fill: Switching to new file: e+_calibration2_2.root
> CountProc: Event 39200

That might be a feature of ROOT, actually. It is known to do this to
avoid large file problems on some systems. Was the original file
near 1 or 2 GB in size? (I don't remember which is the limit these days)

> The third issue, which is directed towards Stan who wrote it, is
> that the CTRL-C "stop after next event" code is buggy. Sometimes
> when I do it, the interrupt message to RAT is ignored until I hit
> CTRL-C again, but then the program dies. Other times the program
> freezes. These appear to be special cases that just appear because
> I have run thousands of simulations, but it ruins many computer-
> hours of data when it happens.

I'll look into it. Getting signal handlers right is a a pain. One
thing that would be helpful is if you could attach a debugger to the
running process after it hangs on the first Ctrl-C (when it is
supposed to be shutting down) and see what it is doing. Also, which
operating system are you seeing the problems on?

---
Stan Seibert