2 RAT bugs and a GLG4sim bug

From: Christopher Tunnell (tunnell@mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 01:22:46 CDT

Hey,

After running 41,300 variable energy positron events for energy and
position reconstruction calibration, I encountered a few interesting
behaviors.

First, I saw this:

CountProc: Event 39100
Fill: Switching to new file: e+_calibration2_2.root
CountProc: Event 39200

Which seems to be a "feature" in Geant4 because grepping for it in our
source tree came up with nothing. Now, after this happened I used the
CTRL-C command to stop the simulation, and I got a seg fault. I can't
show you the exact error message because I loaded up a man page after
the crash, and that cleared our my console buffer, but it was just a
regular seg fault caused by what I assume is RAT trying to close the
wrong file. This is the first issue.

The second issue is I rediscovered a bug in the GLG4sim PMT code, which
I am talking to Glen about to try to figure out if he knew it was still
there.

The third issue, which is directed towards Stan who wrote it, is that
the CTRL-C "stop after next event" code is buggy. Sometimes when I do
it, the interrupt message to RAT is ignored until I hit CTRL-C again,
but then the program dies. Other times the program freezes. These
appear to be special cases that just appear because I have run thousands
of simulations, but it ruins many computer-hours of data when it happens.

Back to calibrations,
Chris