Re: Summary of KSU goings-on for today's meetings

From: Stan Seibert (volsung@physics.utexas.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 10:40:45 CDT

On Sep 22, 2005, at 11:29 AM, Bolton, Tim wrote:

> -- We have found that there are enough tools to keep track of,
> plus issues related to keeping our system spruced up, that we need
> Dan to be a local Braidwood system manager to take some of the
> stress off our grad student sysadmin Jasmine Foster. We're playing
> around with some of the visualization tools. I'm beginning to like
> WIRED, and more particularly WIRED4, which can be easily installed
> anywhere, even a Windows PC. What you actually do is install
> slac's JAS3 product, which has it's aficionados here. The
> installation is beyond idiot-proof; it is professor-proof! I have
> also discovered binary heprep files, which WIRED4 can read and
> which are MUCH smaller than heprep, zipped or unzipped. You just
> need to set up Geant4 with ZLIB and name the file file.bheprep.zip
> in the /vis/scene/create command. What I have not figured how to
> do, in any format, is to display the whole detector in WIRED 3 or 4
> with all the PMT. It seems to be just too darn big a file and
> chews too much memory.

Chris and I have also tried viewing the full braidwood geometry with
HEPREP without any success. Opening a file with one event and all
1200 PMTs enabled in JAS3 brought an Opteron with 1GB of memory to
its knees before I finally killed the program. I haven't dug in any
further, but I wonder if there is some problem in the way it stores
the PMT models, since those have been implemented as using a custom
geometric object.

---
Stan Seibert