Summary of KSU goings-on for today's meetings

From: Bolton, Tim (bolton@phys.ksu.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 10:29:11 CDT

Hi,

Here's a summary of what we're trying to do at KSU with RAT, etc:

1. We have four part-time undergrads: Tom, Wesley, Dan, and Arthur.

2. We have a decent RAT/GLG4Sim/G4 setup in place here on our Linux cluster.

3. The students have all started projects:

  -- Tom is working towards extending event reconstruction work into RAT. He'll probably repeat part of work Chris may be doing with Dave's FSim code just to get some orientation (if Chris still has time for any of this!). The goal is to try to extend the single vertex/energy fit to a few other cases (can we fit two vertices, a straight line, a straight line and a vertex, etc.), and to study more some of the systematics that Dave was struggling with, especially the effect of noise.

  -- Arthur will work on extending simpleDAQ to a fuller DAQ model, probably bringing into RAT some of the structures that exist in GLG4sim already for photon hits and adding pedestal, noise, and digitization.

 -- Wesley is working on studying the response of the detector to fast neutrons. He will provide an interface for Noel into RAT studies.

 -- We have found that there are enough tools to keep track of, plus issues related to keeping our system spruced up, that we need Dan to be a local Braidwood system manager to take some of the stress off our grad student sysadmin Jasmine Foster. We're playing around with some of the visualization tools. I'm beginning to like WIRED, and more particularly WIRED4, which can be easily installed anywhere, even a Windows PC. What you actually do is install slac's JAS3 product, which has it's aficionados here. The installation is beyond idiot-proof; it is professor-proof! I have also discovered binary heprep files, which WIRED4 can read and which are MUCH smaller than heprep, zipped or unzipped. You just need to set up Geant4 with ZLIB and name the file file.bheprep.zip in the /vis/scene/create command. What I have not figured how to do, in any format, is to display the whole detector in WIRED 3 or 4 with all the PMT. It seems to be just too darn big a file and chews too much memory.

4. We also trap Glenn in a room once a week to go over progress.

TB

Tim Bolton
Professor
High Energy Physics Group