RE: coordinate system

From: Bolton, Tim <bolton@phys.ksu.edu>
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 08:16:36 CST

Precisely. After talking with Glenn and Josh and looking at what KAMLAND and SNO did, I think a more
sensible choice might be:

z-axis -- plumb-line up, or zenith angle 0. Our liquid always measures this.

xy-plane is perpindicular to z.

x-axis (phi=0) -- draw a line from the midpoint of the two reactor cores to the center of the upstream near detector (if there are two, then to the one most likely to be fixed. Project the line to the xy-plane.

y = z X x.

This way the z-axis is the one about which the detector has rotational symmetry. The beam is mostly along the x axis with a small -z component and a y component that typically averages to zero. The x and y axes will also be approximate symmetry axes for the cavern and veto structures.

TB

Tim Bolton
Professor
High Energy Physics Group