Re: Sensitivity for the Baseline

From: Jonathan Link <link@fnal.gov>
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 13:38:48 CDT

Hi Steve,

I can look into this further, but to first order we practically have
what we need to answer your question. Three years with 260 tons is the
same as 6 years with 130 tons. I sent out the numbers for 5 years with
130 tons. The extra 1/6 of data can't make that much of a difference.
The main difference is that we still had near detectors. I suspect that
the shape sensitivity will depend on a near far comparison. In your
scenario, will we be using the two year average, near shape to compare
to the far shape? Unfortunately, our sensitivity code is not equipped
to evaluate the consequences of that scenario. I would say propose the
same thing as you except that we would move the second near detector
back and build one or more new far detectors. In this case we will
still need somewhere to put them. The added cost of a second two
detector room at the far side is $2.7M unloaded. Veto systems and
detectors are not included.

-Jon