Re: Design Report

From: Steve Biller <Steven.Biller@physics.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 11:16:07 CDT

  Thanks Jon,

  Yes, as you can imagine, following SuperK, we also looked at this
regarding SNO (not that we could have done a hell of a lot at that point!).
I certainly agree with all the arguments you mention. My concern was
actually more general. I'm not so worried about a repeat of the SuperK
disaster per se, it's a general concern about potential PMT problems
that could result from moving a whole, filled ~50 tonne detector with
~1000 PMTs up and down lifts and over a considerable distance - I don't
think this has ever been done before so it may raise some new issues.
Also, in a relatively small, spherical detector, how significant are shock
waves etc. ? I don't know how much of a problem this is or to what extent
this sort of thing has been studied (aside from SNO's response to occasional
blasting in the mine). But perhaps it'd be worth at least flushing out some
possible R&D tests for the upcoming proposal. Even if there is definately
no problem, I can imagine that funding agencies might like to see some sort
of explicit test anyway as they are now sensitized to this sort of thing.

                                               - Steve