Re: Design Report

From: Rick Van Berg <rick@hep.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 09:46:38 CDT

Hi Vic et al.,

One more point to keep in mind about building large glued acrylic structures
is the angle of the bond. One of the (many) things that Reynolds did not
take into mind before the construction of the SNO sphere was the difference
between a horizontal bond and a bond at an angle. Gravity is, indeed, an
important constraint and it took a very long time, as Steve points out,
to get to a somewhat workable protocol. A structure with a simpler set
of bonds (where "simpler" needs to be understood in great detail) would
have saved hundreds of days of construction time for SNO. There is a lot
of expertise in acrylic bonding in the industry in general (Reynolds is
a small player which makes them approachable for a small project like this
but also limits their depth of knowledge) and getting some professional
outside experience can be valuable. SNO used Jerry Stachiow (sp?) who
had lots of experience building deep sea diving spheres which helped a lot
in defining the strength of the structure and bonds but he had had no
experience with anything bigger than about two meters - as Steve also
notes, bigger implies new types of problems. SNO could probably have
benefitted from some additional outside knowledge rather than attempting
the painful (but attractive to the physicist) exercise of deriving
everything from first principles.

cheers,

Rick Van Berg

p.s. Steve, if we buy the right PMTs we do not have to worry about SK
type problems - it is specific energy vs bulb strength and, of course,
doing real tests (asking what was wrong with the SK and SNO implosion
tests is a great question for physics I).