Re: mechanical design work

From: Hans Jostlein <jostlein@fnal.gov>
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 16:04:06 CDT

Hi, Victor et al.,

thanks for your detailed design report.
It's a giant step forward.
Some time ago I looked at ways to tile spheres and to make the pieces
parabolic rather than spherical.
There would be significant savings in molds for casting;
the surfaces would be cast free for better optical quality;
and the number of pieces would be minimized while,
and they would all be of identical shape.
The deviation from a true sphere depends on the number of tiles, and becomes
quite small for a modest number of tiles.
I don't know if you saw that memo, some time ago.
I have attached it again. for your enjoyment.

Sincerely

Hans

'