Re: Baseline Optimization Memo

From: Mike Shaevitz <shaevitz@nevis.columbia.edu>
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 18:15:56 CDT

Hi Jon,

I was looking through your memo and think that it is a nice way to look at
things.

To me, there are a few ground rules 1) we want to have an experiment that is
at or better than 0.01 at 90% CL in sin2(2th13) reach. 2) we want to use
shape and rate in combination to make the experiment more robust in reaching
the th13 goal. 3) our far detector should be somewhere between 100 and 500
tons.

With these ground rules, I would assume a systematic error of 0.43% which is
between the limits we have been talking about. From your Table 1, this
would give a syst. error of 230% for a 100 ton detector and 510% for a 500
ton detector. So, I would request that you make versions of Fig. 3 for
these two cases and then we take some kind of compromise between them. This
would average over a realistic but aggressive systematic error and allow us
to take into account scenarios with100 tons and with 500 tons.

I am also optimistic that we will be able to extract important information
from the shape analysis which I think we need to push to the forefront. So,
I would like to have a baseline baseline that uses the combination of shape
and counting and also gets to the 0.01 sin2(2th13) level.

Mike