Re: Phototube coverage

From: Chris Tunnell (tunnell@mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2006 - 20:37:26 CDT

Stan is correct, I just added a 'for loop' from 0 to Npmt on some array in ReactorFsim that stored PMT locations, and then dumped the coordinates to a file. You can see the file in CVS at data/pmtcoordinates_spherical_id.dat. There are also scripts in the util directory to go from that format to RATDB. I don't remember changing the coverage, so I don't know why it is off, but this was nearly a year ago.

Currently, the 20 cm from the tank distance seems right in RAT (though the part of the PMT the measurement is made from could be different), but the number of PMTs is too high. We have 27% coverage instead of 24.35%. This has been a known problem for a while, but nobody really knew specifics about the coverage other than 25% when asked, so I made a ticket in RATTRAC about it:

http://nu.ph.utexas.edu/bw/trac/ticket/36

If you could close that when you figure it out. It sounds like you would benifit from adding a feature to RAT that did what ReactorFsim did: added PMTs until a certain coverage is met.

My numerical work just now:

To calculate the area of coverage per PMT at a certain radius: pi * (r_pmt)^2 / (4 * pi * r_photocathode^2) = (20.16/2)^2 / (4 * (350-20)^2) = 0.00023325 = a. Yet a*1044 = 0.2435 and a*1160 = 0.27057. You can use the coverage per PMT at a radius for overall coverage.