Letter to Staffin

From: Mike Shaevitz (shaevitz@nevis.columbia.edu)
Date: Mon May 08 2006 - 16:45:20 CDT

Dear Colleagues,

A discussion of the letter to Staffin is scheduled at our
phone meeting tomorrow. There are questions of sending the
letter, modifying it, or having several of us meet with
Staffin in person.

One question is whether the last paragraph of the current
draft is what we want to put forward now. The two optional
paragraphs below are ones where we try to take the "high
road" with respect to US participation in the theta13
measurement.

Please think about all this and we can discuss things tomorrow.

Mike

Option 1:
Of course, our common goal is to make the needed scientific
measurements that will elucidate the physics of neutrino
masses and mixings. A program including the Double Chooz
experiment and an improved Daya Bay experiment would seem to
be a wise path. The Double Chooz experiment, which will use
a detector very similar to Daya Bay, will be able to
quantify the possible deficiencies and backgrounds
associated with this type of measurement, and, thus, provide
information for improving the Daya Bay experiment. We also
believe that the experience and expertise of the members of
the Braidwood collaboration could be very valuable to the
DOE for technical reviews and assessments towards improving
the Daya Bay experiment. In these ways, we hope that the US
particle and nuclear physics community can play an important
part in completing a precision reactor disappearance
measurement.

Option 2:
Of course, our common goal is to make the needed scientific
measurements that will elucidate the physics of neutrino
masses and mixings. We believe that the experience and