RE: DOE Neutrino R&D Funds

From: Hahn, Richard (rhahn@bnl.gov)
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 09:22:22 CST

        Some comments:
        1) I strongly agree that we should submit an updated EOI, to
stress the advances the Braidwood collaboration has made since the
September 2004 budget submissions to NSF and DOE. Let's not be shy about
our accomplishments.
        2) Since FermiLab is "rumored" to want the total pot of $8M
anyway, I think we should be ambitious and increase our funding request
from the modest ~$1M number from last year.
        3) In this regard, we should rethink our earlier decision of
using our base programs to do the R&D, and asking only for funding for
materials, equipment, and engineering support. We have lost more than
one year while the theta-13 evaluation process has been going on. Adding
scientific personnel to our effort could help us to speed up our R&D
work and recoup some of the lost time. My BNL Group certainly needs
bolstering in that regard.
        4) I believe that HEP asked for the EOIs by Jan. 23, the Monday
after our Jan. 20 meeting. Can we get an extension from HEP of the
submission date by a few days? If not, we had better have the EOI in
fairly final form when we meet at FermiLab. I'll be there to participate
in the discussions.
        5) I suggest that you make the EOI the first item on our Jan. 20
agenda, to allow ample time for us to polish and amend the draft
document. Submitting a strong request to DOE may be the most important
task confronting us now, because if we don't succeed in getting a slice
of the R&D funding pie, we will have problems...
        6) After finishing the EOI at the Jan. 20 meeting, we can go on
to discussions of new technical developments in the collaboration. If
need be, we could always break for dinner and come back for a few more
hours of discussion. I plan to travel to FermiLab on Friday morning, and
to stay overnight, traveling home on Saturday morning.

Dick