1st NuSAG Meeting

From: Mike Shaevitz (shaevitz@nevis.columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 13:46:08 CDT

Dear Colleagues:

All of the reactor experiments (Braidwood, Daya Bay, and
Double Chooz) made presentations at yesterday's NuSAG
review. The Braidwood presentation
(http://braidwood.uchicago.edu/nusag/NuSAG_June_05_submitted.ppt)
seemed to be quite well received. We presented many more
details of the experiment than other groups. We expect to
receive written questions to address at a later meeting, but
here are a few points that came up at the meeting.

1) In moving detectors, how does one assure that detectors
don't change. How robust is the cross check?

2) The 12B does not seem to address the relative fiducial
volume for the Gd captures and leakage.

3) Once you dig he far shaft, the baseline is fixed. Is
this a problem with respect to having a reliable dm2 value.
(Mike's new plots address this point.)

4) There were several questions related to the reliability
of our cost estimates.

As expected, the background differences between Braidwood
and Daya Bay will be an issue of interest to the committee
-- we will probably have to provide additional details on
our background rejection/measurement.

As soon as we receive questions from NuSAG we will schedule
a phone conference to make a short-term plan.

Thanks to everyone for their help in preparing for this
first NuSAG review.

Mike and Ed