Re: RE: coordinate system

From: Richard K. Yamamoto <rky@mit.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 13:42:23 CST

Hi Folks,

     I'd like to add my two cents, which is all what I say may be worth.
     The details of coordinate systems, etc. seems to me somewhat minor,
since once defined, its just a matter of coordinate transformations,
regardless of how complicated this may end up being. I have a naive
question, not quite related to coordinates but may be a bigger sytematic
question: how well do we know the neutrino flux distribution in angle with
respect to, say, the surface of the ground? Since the detectors are at
different distances from the reactor core, if this distribution is not
known because it may not be isotropic, the relative flux between detectors
may not be able to be calculated to the precision we need. Perhaps this
can be studied through simulations, but can we ever measure this?
     I'd be happy if someone can tell me I'm worrying about nothing, so I
can enjoy the Holidays.

Best regards, and Happy Holidays!
Dick Yamamoto