Detector mass questions

From: Hans Jostlein <jostlein@fnal.gov>
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 08:25:52 CDT

Hi, Jonathan,

Ang Lee pointed out that the detector mass is not 200 ton, but quite a bit less.

I have calculated the mass for a 6.8 m diameter sphere , filled with mineral oil, made of 1/4 inch steel.
I get 147 (metric) ton total.
Supports and electronics may pop this up to about 150 ton, but not much more.

I think we need to be careful not to add safety factors at every stage.
Things can get funky quickly!

Hans
By the way,

if the borehole cost dominates (as I suspect), it may be worth looking at slightly non-spherical shapes.
I have done a paper exercise of adding a cylindrical section equal to one radius (3.4 m) to the vessel.
As one might expect the mass goes up (from 147 ton to 256 ton),
accompanied by a large gain in fiducial volume, from 24.5 m^3 to 55 m^3, more than double.
It may be worth running the light collection Monte Carlo for this shape.
The gain ratio will be available at any diameter.
We may be able to do a better experiment, reduce cost, or both

Hans

      Pi
     3.141593

      diameter